Cloth Diapers 101 - How to Prep Your New Cloth Diapers
All brand new cloth diapers need to be prepped before you can start using it on your baby. This is to ensure that the inserts have the max absorbency for that first use, and that your diapers are clean and safe to put on your baby.
Watch our full step-by-step video on our YouTube channel.
Here is a quick step-by-step guide for prepping your Earth & Pebble pocket cloth diapers and inserts:
- Open the pocket diaper and ensure that the insert is not in the diaper.
Toss the diapers and the inserts into a load of laundry - medium to high heat.
(*If you do not have enough diaper laundry for a full load you can put them in with your regular laundry.)
- Use diaper / baby safe laundry detergent.
- Hang pockets to dry.
- Throw inserts into the dryer on low to medium heat until dry.
Re-wash and re-dry your inserts until they have reached their full absorbency (approx 3-4 times).
*If you are prepping bamboo inserts, or other natural fibers, then it could take a few extra wash / dry cycles before they become full absorbent.
How to test to see if your inserts are fully prepped:
- Fill a large bowl with warm water.
- Place your insert in the water and push it to the bottom of the bowl.
- Hold it there for a few seconds and then remove your hand.
- If the insert bobs back up to the top of the water it is not fully prepped and is not at its full absorbency potential. In this case you will have to go through the wash / dry cycle again.
- If the insert takes on water and does not float to the top then it is ready to use!
And that’s it! If you have any questions about absorbency or prepping your brand new cloth diapers just leave a comment for me below!